Learning how to deal with pests can avoid a lot of hassle. With our Asheville Free Pest Advisory, you can find premium advice on how to deal with all your common pest problems. Of course, we also provide a comprehensive overview of prevention tips. So, if you are looking to deal with some common Asheville pests, be sure to read through our prevention guide below.
Ants Are All Over North Carolina
One of the pests you can encounter regularly in Asheville is ants. You can find many different species as well, so it might not always be immediately clear which type of ant you are dealing with. The most common species you can encounter within Ashville include Pharaoh ants, Argentine ants, Pavement ants, and Fire ants. That being said, there are some general guidelines you can follow to prevent infestations.
In most cases, ants will invade your property when you offer them one of three things: food, water or suitable shelter. If ants can easily access these things in or around your property, then an infestation is much more likely. To prevent infestations in the future, here are some prevention tips you could implement for your Asheville home.
- Trim surrounding bushes and shrubbery.
- Check your home for ant-sized access such as holes in the foundation or exterior walls.
- Use weather stripping for windows and doors.
- Do not leave food or food residue out.
- Reduce humidity levels inside your home with a dehumidifier.
Asheville Bed Bugs
Bed bugs can be encountered in both rural and built-up areas. So, no matter where you live, you should always look to take preventative measures for these nasties. Bed bugs basically feed on blood and they can easily stay hidden because of their flat bodies. Because of their love for blood, they are often found in mattresses and beds.
When you have a bed bug infestation, it is important to call the professionals immediately. You can also use these tips to prevent bed bug infestations in the future.
- Use additional protective covers on your mattress or box spring.
- Hoover the floors in your home on a regular basis.
- When you are staying somewhere other than your home, always check for signs of possible infestation before you put your stuff in the room.
- Wash new bed linen on high temperatures before you put them on the bed.
Cockroaches are quite common in North Carolina because of the agreeable climate, so you can occasionally find them in various locations in Asheville. The types of cockroaches you are most likely to encounter are the German, American, and smokey brown cockroach. While cockroaches will not bite you, they can be dangerous to people. They are carriers of various bacteria, including dangerous bacteria such as E. coli, dysentery, and salmonellosis.
Only qualified pest control technicians should try to eliminate a cockroach infestation. If you've had an infestation and want to prevent more infestations in the future, here are some of the measures you can take.
- Check your home's foundations and exterior walls for any holes or crevices.
- Reduce the moisture levels inside your home, possibly with a dehumidifier.
- Only open doors and windows when you have to.
- When you have entered a property with cockroaches, remove footwear and clothing if possible before entering your home.
Asheville Fleas and Ticks
Fleas and ticks are quite similar to bed bugs, as they also feed on the blood of people and animals. They are also difficult to detect, which can make their impact more severe. It also allows more time for an infestation to spread. There are a couple of ticks that are common to North Carolina and can, therefore, be found in Asheville. Common types include the American dog, lone star, brown dog, and black-legged tick.
As with all pests, there are a couple of things you can do to reduce the chance of a tick and/or flea infestation:
- Remove any open food sources that could attract wild animals, which could be infested with fleas or ticks.
- Place shrubbery and wooden lugs further away from your home.
- Keep your garden well-maintained.
- If you have pets, hoover the floors inside your home on a regular basis.
- Check yourself, your children and pets for ticks when you've spent time in the outdoors.
Asheville Moles and Voles
While these pests usually remain in your garden and you usually never see them yourself, they can cause significant damage to your garden. In some extreme causes, damage to the foundation can occur as well. One of the issues with moles and voles is that there is little you can do to prevent them. They are attracted to green beautiful gardens. In this case, the only thing you can do is contact the experts as soon as you notice any signs of moles and voles.
Asheville Mosquitoe Heaven
Mosquitoes can be a real annoyance in many environments, including in Asheville. Like some of the previous pests in this overview, mosquitoes feed on animal or people blood. Also, mosquitoes can be considered as dangerous as they are known to spread disease such as West Nile Virus, encephalitis and even the Zika virus.
Fortunately, there are some preventative measures you can take against mosquitoes. Here are some of the main things to consider:
- Remove or move any shrubbery that is located near your home.
- Keep your gutters well-maintained to prevent a build-up of water, which can be a real attraction for mosquitoes.
- Get window and door screens to keep mosquitoes out as much as possible.
- Ensure you have weather stripping around all your windows and doors.
- Remove any sources of water around your home; this includes anything from kid's pools to a very small flower pot.
Another serious problem you can get in Asheville is an infestation of termites. While these pests do not pose a direct danger to people, they are known to cause thousands of dollars in damage to properties around North Carolina. There are many things that attract termites, but the main thing is wood that has been affected by water.
There are some preventative measures you can take to prevent an ant infestation in your Asheville home:
- Do not place wood directly on the soil, as this provides ready access for termites.
- Repair any water leaks immediately.
- Install weather stripping around windows and doors to prevent termites from getting in through the gaps.
- Remove any branches or fallen trees from your garden as soon as possible.
- Ensure your gutters are well-maintained.
Call Us For Additional Advice
Do you have a specific pest problem that is mentioned in this overview, but you don't know how to deal with it? Or maybe you have a pest infestation that wasn't mentioned here? Whatever it is your need, you can contact our Asheville Free Pest Advisory for some professional advice.